2015 September 22
North Ogden City General Plan Update adopted. No discussion of a new amphitheater.
- Update notes plan has legal authority.
- City Council can override if in best interest of the Community.
- Changes should be formal application process with written amendments.
- City website notes: 2016 Planning Department report says minor adjustments were made 2016 August 23.
- If General Plan was amended, it was not posted and was not made public; no mention of Barker Park.
2015 November 25
Barker Park Committee has been formed and has been meeting. No discussion of a new amphitheater.
- Per North Ogden City website, multiple meetings are missing from posted minutes.
- Per minutes 2015 November 25, city administration is aware info is not on the website and says if will be added; as of 2018 January 25, info was still missing.
- Mayor suggests selling additional building lots from the Barker Park lands.
- Barker Park cost estimates $5.4M for entire park (no mention of any change to the amphitheater).
- Questions raised about ongoing maintenance costs.
2016 January 13
Barker Park Committee provides recommendation list for Bark Park buildout. Still no discussion of a new amphitheater.
- No changes to existing amphitheater.
- New cost estimate is $7.5M without amphitheater rebuild.
- Mayor suggests a developer (Wadman, per committee member) wanting to development a high-density project, would likely trade assistance on Barker Park for approval of high-density project elsewhere in the city (transfer of developmental rights or TDR).
- Mayor wants to end Barker Park Committee.
2016 May 25
City Council minutes
- Mayor Taylor floats the idea of an amphitheater upgrade, creating a venue similar to the Layton (Kenley) amphitheater.
- Mayor Taylor states he would like to postpone the component buildout of the park and focus instead on the amphitheater improvements.
- Amphitheater improvements estimated at $500,000.
- Barker Park committee wants to build component portion of park first; Mayor Taylor want to proceed with amphitheater prior to components.
- Barker Park Committee terminated.
14 June 2016*** City Council minutes
- Barker Park discussion is focused primarily on components desired in the park
- New cost estimate $7.7M without amphitheater rebuild
- Mayor Taylor notes Barker Park committee recommends addressing amphitheater improvements in final phase
June 2016 - May 2017 Large gap in records posted to North Ogden City website
10 May 2017*** North Ogden City Arts and Amphitheater Committee minutes
- No previous minutes published as of 25 January 2018
- Amphitheater cost estimate now $3,580,292
- City staff note potential difficulty in securing a “quality architect. . .due to lack of total project funding”; City Administration will “get creative” with phasing in order to secure high quality services
- Committee member requests publicizing meetings to get public interested
14 June 2017*** North Ogden City Arts and Amphitheater Committee minutes
- Amphitheater concept developed by City Engineer
- Architect proposals due 28 June 2018
- Contract to be awarded 10 July 2018
- Mayor and committee elect to hire a professional marketing consultant to develop marketing plan for Amphitheater
18 July 2017*** North Ogden City Council minutes
- City Administration has “tried to fast track” Barker Park
- Approval of contract with Method Studio
2017 August 2
City Council Work Section Minutes
27 August 2017 North Ogden City Open House
- Contracts had already been awarded
20 September 2017*** North Ogden City Planning Commission meeting
- Residents adjacent to Barker Park were notified by mail of pending changes with the Amphitheater
- Multiple homeowners spoke to concerns about sound, safety, crime, and lack of parking
- City Administration requests approval of site plan although not all required provisions have been met
- City Administration wants to address parking at a later date
- Planning Commission votes to approve site plan with conditions
- Before amphitheater can be made available for public use, sufficient parking areas must be secured and available for use
15 November 2017 Ground breaking for larger Amphitheater